Opening originally in Disneyland in 2019, Savi’s Workshop is a keystone element of Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge. In this highly immersive experience, guests are invited to build their own lightsaber from scratch. Including selecting a kyber crystal to identify Lightside or Darkside alignment.
For a bit of context, Savi is a human male who owns Savi’s Workshop, where the Gatherers guided Force-sensitive in lightsaber construction and an associate of Lor San Tekka. Savi disguised the establishment as a salvage store to hide it from the First Order. Part of the lightsaber building experience is secretly entering the workshop in Black Spire Outpost. This lore was developed specifically to fit the Galaxy’s Edge canon.
Where Savi’s Workshop is Located
You have to be a little bit shrewd in order to find this hidden location. There are no major markings or signs. Just look for the people leaving with a life-changing look on their face. The actual sign is written in Aurebesh, you will need to either be fluent or will need a map. Savi’s Workshop is tucked between the Droid Depot and Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities. It is also down the stairs and across from Ronto Roasters. Part of the story-telling process of the lightsaber building process is that this is a covert operation. When you approach a cast member about your reservation they will quickly correct you and inform you that Savi’s is for scrap metal collecting.
- Disneyland – Opened May 31, 2019
- Hollywood Studios – Opened August 29, 2019
Type of Lightsaber Hilts
The thing to notice here is that these lightsabers are highly realistic. While this is not the cheap lightsaber you might find in a store or at Star Wars Galactic Outpost in Disney Springs, they are not the same quality as Legacy Lightsabers. So if you are looking for a replica of Luke Skywalker’s ROTJ blade, you’re going to want to look here.
- Peace and Justice Salvaged scraps from fallen Jedi temples and crashed starships in these Republic-era designs honor the galaxy’s former guardians.
- Power and Control Originally forged by dark side warriors, this style features rumored remnants from the Sith homeworld and abandoned temples.
- Elemental Nature This theme embodies the Force—an energy created by all living things, like Brylark trees, Cartusion whale bones and Rancor teeth.
- Protection and Defense Hilt materials bear mysterious motifs and inscriptions that reconnect users with the ancient wellspring of the Force.
Kyber Crystal Colors & Details
After choosing your hilt, you need to select the heart of your lightsaber: the Kyber Crystal. Each Kyber Crystal costs for $17.99. There are 4 colored crystals to choose from, all relating to a Jedi or Sith from the past:
- Blue: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Rey
- Green: like that of Luke Skywalker, Yoda, Qui-Gon Jinn and Ahsoka Tano
- Violet: Mace Windu
- Red: Darth Vader, Darth Maul, and Kylo Ren
Two other colors are available to purchase at Dok Ondar’s Den of Antiquities are Yellow and White. If you are lucky, you might find the elusive Black Kyber Crystal. This can be found only when purchasing a red crystal. The odds of obtaining a black crystal is 1 in 100. Should you find one, the inscription inside of the container says:
Today you have found something truly special. This small fragment of obsidian is infused with the power of the dark side. When placed inside a lightsaber or a holocron, this rare fragment with unnatural powers mined from dark side shrine will have similar properties as a red Kyber Crystal.
If you’re at Dok-Ondar’s you can also find Legacy Lightsabers. You can learn all about them in this blog post: Every Available Legacy Lightsaber at Galaxy’s Edge.
Every lightsaber holds a “personal connection” to each crystal, the driving force behind each lightsaber’s power. Each individual saber also has a special bond with its new owner and the Savi’s experience in Disney parks does an excellent job of incorporating that feeling through imagineering.
Both the legacy and the custom lightsabers are compatible with a universal blade system. Each of the blades are available in different lengths and sizes, and each one lights up in a different way with different colors depending on the hilt you attach it to. The sizes of legacy lightsaber blades are 26 inch, 31 inch, or 36 inch.
Additional Details about Savi’s Workshop
- The Savi’s Workshop lightsaber experience can only accommodate one builder and a guest.
- The guest may not build their own lightsaber, only the designated builder.
- The age recommendation is 5 and up.
- At least one guest must be 14 or older.
- You’ll pay when you arrive at the location.
- A carrying case is included with the purchase.
- Additional parts and customizations can be bought from Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities.
- Custom lightsabers are not refundable or eligible for annual passholder or other discounts.
Savi’s Lightsaber Price Update October 12, 2022
As of October 2022, Savi’s Workshop has increased the price of the lightsaber building experience. At one point, the sabers cost $219.99. While expensive, the experience to many was well worth the cost. However, The price of Savi’s Workshop has increased from $249.99 per lightsaber + tax.
The increase is $50 from the original release of $199.99 in 2019.